Services for doctors in training & registrars
- Career assessment & review - Provide a framework for the assessment and management of professional and personal needs as doctors work through the process of deciding which career pathway to pursue or to continue in.
- Career planning - Support doctors to develop a strategy and plan that will help them achieve their potential in their chosen career pathway.
- Resumes & applications - Deliver targeted career coaching to assist the development of quality resumes, cover letters, college/role applications and to address key selection criteria.
- Interviewing & networking - Help doctors to develop and express their professional profile and reputation in both an informal setting, such as the workplace and professional events, as well as formally, in interviews across a range of interview formats.
- Build an online profile - Navigate the role of social media in medical career management, in particular how to create a professional profile on linked in.
- Changing pathways - Help doctors to understand drivers underpinning dissatisfaction in a chosen pathway, while working towards the assessment of alternate pathways and determining steps they need to take to effectively transition.
Coaching Rates (Inclusive of GST)
1 Hr Career Coaching session:
- AMA Member $150
- AMA Non-Member $350
Book a 1-hour coaching session
Are you a Non-Member? Access a complimentary Careers Consultation by becoming an AMA Victoria member today.
Career Call (member only benefit)
As part of your membership AMA Victoria members can access our careers consultants via telephone for a fifteen minute ‘Career Call’.
15-minute career call (AMA Victoria financial members only)
More info & FAQ
For more information please contact us on email@example.com or call on (03) 9280872
The medical landscape has changed dramatically in recent years and subsequently competition for coveted medical positions is at unprecedented levels.
The impact of these changes has been felt at all stages of the medical career lifecycle and as such doctors now find that they need to proactively manage, plan and review their careers to achieve their potential in a career pathway that aligns with their needs and skills, while leveraging their strengths and interests.
I need some support in evaluating my medical career and understanding which pathways and roles are the best options for me to pursue long-term?Expand
We support doctors to engage in a process of career assessment and review in order to make informed career decisions – continue on, re-enter, progress, diversify, transition. This process can involve a number of steps outlined below:
Career assessment and health check:
- Where am I at?
- What’s working, what’s not?
- Am I achieving my potential and realizing my career goals?
- I need a personal career plan!
Career planning: keep on track and achieve your goals through targeted planning
Career transition and diversification: transitioning within and beyond medicine
Life beyond medicine: tackles areas such as planning for retirement, scaling back and moving towards a portfolio career
Career back on track: recommencing your medical career after an extended break
As specialists in medical career management we will support you to write a resume and application that is impactful and relevant to the stage you are at in your medical career and the role you are targeting. Therefore we will support you to:
- Write a professional resume that differentiates you, creates interest and gives the health service the information they value in their recruitment process
- Develop highly targeted application letters that sell you, stand out and address key selection criteria
Interviewing is a skill that does not come naturally to the majority of doctors. Most doctors require a great deal of assistance in developing content to use in response to interview questions, as well as in improving their interview technique, presentation and communication skills to ensure that they present well, engage their interviewer(s) and sell their potential.
As specialists in medical career management we understand the type and style of questions you will be asked in interviews at the different stages in your medical careers and in different medical career pathways and how to best structure a response that is authentic, impactful and succinct.
For a number of reasons I need to either reconsider, or transition from the training pathway I am on, is this possible and how do I go about this?Expand
This scenario is experienced by many doctors. Our role is to support you to work through this process, as an independent and objective third party to:
- Understand and articulate the drivers that have lead you to this position
- Evaluate and confirm, challenge or rethink them if necessary
- Navigate and explore what your options are in either continuing and/or transitioning your training pathway/career
- Help you manage your expectations as to how easy or difficult this might be to realise so you can make informed decisions and plan for exiting
In many professions it is a very normal and common occurrence to think after a period of time, ‘I am not sure this is the right role or career for me?’ However in medicine, for a variety of reasons, this seems to be something that is difficult to admit or act upon. It is possible to obtain success, both personally and professionally beyond medicine and we can support you explore what that might look like.
For some it may require retraining in another profession, for others it may be transitioning either your professional competencies and/or medical knowledge and experience into another role within or outside of the health sector, for others they start their own business or buy into a successful business.