Career change and retirement support
- Career assessment, review & planning - Support doctors to proactively manage, plan and review their careers in order to achieve their professional goals, achieve the right balance/mix of work and to establish a career that is rewarding and meets their interests and needs.
- Changing pathways within Medicine - Help doctors to understand drivers underpinning dissatisfaction in a chosen pathway, while working towards the assessment of alternate pathways and determining steps they need to take to effectively transition.
- Portfolio careers – Help doctors identify skillsets and medical interests they have developed to redirect towards establishing a portfolio career. Assist in creating a strategy and plan to build such a portfolio career.
- Transition out of Medicine - Collaborate with doctors looking to transition or diversify their careers either within or external to medicine, including the decision to exit or downsize their role in private or public practice.
Coaching Rates (Inclusive of GST)
1 Hr Career Coaching session:
- AMA Member $137 + GST
- AMA Non-Member $320 + GST
Book a 1-hour coaching session (members)
Book a 1-hour coaching session (non-members)
Career Call (member only benefit)
As part of your membership AMA Victoria members can access our careers consultants via telephone for a fifteen minute ‘Career Call’.
15-minute career call (AMA Victoria financial members only)
More info & FAQ
For more information please contact us on email@example.com or call on (03) 9280872
The medical landscape has changed dramatically in recent years and subsequently competition for coveted medical positions is at unprecedented levels.
The impact of these changes has been felt at all stages of the medical career lifecycle and as such doctors now find that they need to proactively manage, plan and review their careers to achieve their potential in a career pathway that aligns with their needs and skills, while leveraging their strengths and interests.
In many professions, it is a very normal and common occurrence to think after a period of time, ‘I am not sure this is the right role or career for me?’ However, in medicine, for a variety of reasons, this seems to be something that is difficult to admit or act upon. It is possible to obtain success, both personally and professionally beyond medicine and we can support you explore what that might look like.
For some it may require retraining in another profession, for others it may be transitioning either your professional competencies and/or medical knowledge and experience into another role within or outside of the broader health sector, for others they start their own business or buy into a successful business.
For a number of reasons I need to either reconsider, or transition out of my clinical role or practice - is this possible and how do I go about this?Expand
This scenario is experienced by many doctors. Our role is to support you to work through this process, as an independent and objective third party to:
- Understand and articulate the drivers that have lead you to this position
- Evaluate and confirm, challenge or rethink them if necessary
- Navigate and explore what your options are in either continuing and/or transitioning out of your clinical role/practice
- Help you manage your expectations as to how easy or difficult this might be to realise this transition so you can make informed decisions and plan for exiting
I need some support in evaluating my medical career and understanding which pathways and role (or combination of roles) are the best options for me to pursue long term?Expand
We support doctors to engage in a process of career assessment and review in order to make informed career decisions – continue on, re-enter, progress, diversify, transition. This process can involve a number of steps outlined below:
Career assessment & health check:
- Where am I at?
- What’s working, what’s not?
- Am I achieving my potential and realizing my career goals?
- I need a personal career plan!
Career planning: Keep on track and achieve your goals through targeted planning
Career transition: Transitioning within and beyond medicine
Life beyond medicine: Tackles areas such as planning for retirement, scaling back and moving towards a portfolio career
Career back on track: Recommencing your medical career after an extended break